Wednesday, April 9, 2008

I miss Malaysia [Part II] - S.H.O.P.P.I.N.G!!!!!

Although Canberra is not a pretty bad place to live in (to some, it's almost synonymous to the word - BORING), one could feel that it is not quite like home - MALAYSIA!

The highway - on the way to Pavilion.

I need to feel the busy-bustling city life sometimes! Even Malacca feels livelier than Canberra! I really miss the part where cars love speeding on the highways (especially when they highlight you from the rear or show "interesting" hand language)

I guess being in a more civilized place (not implying that all Malaysians are uncivilized) means less interesting scenes can be experience when you are traveling on the roads.

Kuala Lumpur - Petronas Twin Towers. Home is where the heart is (excluding the hot-humid weather there)

I miss the tall building in Kuala Lumpur. The sight of tall buildings around you just makes you feel that "Yes, there is some life going on here. It's not a dead town" when you are a third year student in Canberra.

I really wonder (along with everyone else here in ANU) why the Australian Government made Canberra as the Capital of the whole country and the tallest building in the whole state is no taller than the Equatorial Hotel in Malacca.

But most of all (although it may sound politically incorrect as I am a guy), I miss shopping! Canberra Mall is no where near to the shopping malls in Malaysia. Now I know why Aussies flock all the way to Singapore and Malaysia to shop.

Here are some mega-malls that I really miss.

Pavilion Kuala Lumpur

The deco in Pavilion - Elegant, classy and sophisticated

The podium set up for the Christmas celebration.


Malaysian shopaholics are jumping in the air with joy when this baby was built. The whole building was built on the ground of the ex-Bukit Bintang Girls School.

1 million sq. feet of land = pure shopping pleasure. It was a RM 3 billion project that consist of luxury residences, offices, a 6-star boutique hotel, a business class hotel along with a retail frontage.


One can tell how well the building is designed by having a glimpse of how the escalators are arranged.

The top floor of the shopping area - look at how big and wide the whole place is.

Here, Esprit has a store spreading over 3 levels. Other famous names that can be found here are Hermes, Montblanc, Escada, Salvatore Ferragamo, Hugo Boss, Coach, Burberry and Versace.

One thing important. The prices here are extravagant to the average consumer like myself. I went in one outlet to look at the price of a suit (as I needed one) Guess how much it is? RM 9999! Even the shop assistant was shocked reading that price to me.

So if you are pretty rich or just want to splurge, this place is certainly the place for you. If you are like me, well, there is a term called "window-shopping". =)


One-Utama

The view of the Christmas deco here in 1-U

The multi-story building is the place where you want to be.

With over 5 million sq ft of land, 1 Utama is definitely an international shopping and entertainment ground. Besides having designer clothing, it has other brand names that are more affordable. (Compared to Pavilion Kuala Lumpur, a lot CHEAPER!)

This place is the mecca for events and lifestyle shopping. The shops here (in my opinion) mostly revolves around fashion, i.e. clothing, make-up, accessories, etc. They do have home-living shops as well where one can find nice furniture, home sound-stereos and D-I-Y equipment.


A close up shot on the deco - I like this shot a lot

The bird's eye view of the main area of 1-U where the Christmas deco was voted as the best for year 2007 (I think)

Among all the shopping centers up in KL, 1-Utama is my favourite. Why? It has a simple name: 1-U. Even cool shopping advertisements can be put up. U-1 go shopping? Go to 1-U! (I know I am lame sometimes..)

Mid-Valley Megamall & the Gardens


Dating in Mid-Valley - One thing I like best about Malaysia, NO UNI = NO STRESS!

The Christmas deco in the Center Court of Mid Valley.

Last but not least, Mid Valley is one of my favorite shopping places in Malaysia. With 4.5 million sq feet of land, it holds more than 450 stores in its five floors. Like 1-Utama, it caters to the mid-high income group although they do have expensive brands as well.

The best part about Mid-Valley is that our friendly KTM has a stop there as well, which is good for students. Other than that, it is a good hang out place as it is near residential areas like Bangsar.

One of the "Chimneys" in the Gardens.

Again, the complexity of the design of walk-ways between isles is one thing I love.

My darling - along the isle of the new Gardens.

The Gardens is an extension of Mid-Valley, where it is connected through a bridge and an underground passage way (from the basement floor where all the fast-food joints are).

It is like Pavilion Kuala Lumpur where it caters to the higher-income consumers. You can really see the contrast between the shoppers in the Garden and in Mid-Valley, in their fashion sense, attire and spending power.

I guess that's all for now, for those who are in Malaysia, LUCKY YOU! For those who are not or visitors to my country, this would be a good place for you to shop =)

Toodles~

No comments: