Tuesday, March 25, 2008

I miss Malaysia [Part I] - Chinese New Year's Eve



Meant to put this up last month, but well, been busy =P

I always remember my Dad as someone who loves staying at home when there are any big celebrations like New Year's Eve or other big public holidays that has celebrations outside.


Behold, the sight for sore eyes : Cendol

BUT not this year! I recalled that I was actually online writing a post for my blog where my Dad got so enthusiastic asking everyone in the house to get dressed and saying "let's go to Jonker Walk, I want to eat the cendol there".

Now if you really are a cendol lover, I could send you the picture of the shops name and you can head there yourself. The above picture is from another shop which is slightly inferior to the one i frequent. Nevertheless, it is still quite yum.


One of the alleys leading to Jonker Walk.

Then we are off to the very long, crowded and sweaty lane of Jonker Walk - a high class "pasar malam" where you can get everything, from bubble tea to beers and from expensive silk cheongsams to cheap sandals.


Cheap thongs and sandals; ranging from RM5 to RM 20

Having to crawl in the traffic for about 30 minutes it was actually quite a sight to behold. Red lanterns decorated the night and specially red spot-lights that were put up by the government adds to the New Year's ambience.


The ambience of CNY fills the night as red spot-lights decorated the walls of these historical buildings.


--> POLIS <--
Jangan main-main atau kena "ang pau" nanti
dan bayar saman.


One could witness an almost bumper to bumper traffic crawl in the heart of Malacca City and policemen with their motorcycles scouring the city floor to direct the traffic (or other reasons that I would not say - but you already KNOW-LAH)




The crowded alley of Jonker Walk; home of stories of blood, sweat and tears (actually you smell sweaty arm-pits more)

Jonker Walk was EXTRA congested on the eve of the year of the Rat. You can see families hanging out together or friends gathering with each other, adding to the mood of get-together. Temples near the Walk have special prayers for good wishes and prosperity for the coming new year.

Outside a shop: The shop-owner holds special prayers for prosperity and for more "chai" to come.

An occasional youngster which carries the brand "Ah-Beng/Ah-Lian" adds more to the mood that it really is a Chinese celebration. I guess today is the day where they can brag to their friends which brand of hair wax or gell that they use.

One thing that sets Jonker Walk apart from an ordinary pasar malam is that they have a stage! On every major celebration like CNY or Christmas, they have performances such as singing, dancing, lion dance or magic acts.


The area near the stage where the performances are held.


The stage which I was talking about. And the sea of people crowding around.

I guess that is all I can remember from a night from 1 month ago. I really miss the hot, humid weather sometimes (but I am glad that I am in Australia still). I really miss the cendol in Jonker Walk but most of all, I miss the spirit of get-togetherness with my family.


And finally, a picture to end this post. Toodles.

No comments: